Prostate Cancer, Screening and Prevention
The second leading cause of death from cancer in the US in men is from prostate cancer. A simple blood test called a PSA (prostate specific antigen) can aid in early detection of prostate cancer. This test is to be performed yearly and any elevation should be carefully assessed. Early detection and treatment is the key to a positive outcome and cure.
Your best defense is to prevent the cancer from happening in the first place. The following have been linked with improving your chances of preventing prostate cancer:
- Keep your weight as close to your ideal body weight as possible. Obesity has been liked to cancers.
- Don’t smoke and if you do stop.
- Exercise regularly.
- Keep alcohol intake to a moderate level or none at all.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Sugar fuels multiple types of cancers so avoid sugar especially processed sugars and any items containing high fructose corn syrup.
- Products that contain high amounts of glutamine can fuel cancer cells such as soy. Avoid soy and soy products.
- Take a “standardized” form of Saw Palmetto daily. It improves the blood flow to the prostate and may help to prevent congestion and thus enlargement of the prostate.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. They are considered to contain nutrients which fight cancers. The big guns for the prostate are: tomatoes, broccoli, legumes, pomegranate juice. I feel that eating these items raw yield the greatest effectiveness.
- Drink plenty of green tea. There is evidence to support that compounds found in green tea may prevent the development of prostate cancer.
- Eat more fish and less animal protein. Omega-3 fatty acids have been associated with a decrease in cancer growth which is high in fish and low in animal proteins.
- Low animal fat diets are better for the human body and are associated with less cancer development. Get you fats from fish and health plants such as avocado and coconut. You will be healthier for it.
- Reduce the amount of dairy product you ingest daily. Milk, cheese and yogurt increase the probability of prostate cancer.
- Avoid GMO (Genetically Modified) foods. Foods…studies show abnormal cellular changes in animal as who ingest genetically modified foods.
- Manage and reduce stress in your live. Stress has been considered by many to be the number one cause of illness and disease.
The bottom line is: The American Diet is a breeding ground for not only prostate cancer but many other types of cancer as well. Changing eating habits and adopting a healthier life style will lead to a greater quality of life with strength and longevity.
Choose health, choose life and choose to be awesome!